Monday, November 26, 2012

Forsaken World


Forsaken World is an impressive looking MMORPG from Perfect World. I was skeptical about this one at first mainly because it looked too impressive. I didn't think my old laptop would be able to handle it, but it plays just fine. I also like the fact that Perfect World has servers in multiple time zones. It really makes a big difference. So if you're like me and think that just because you're computer is a few years old you can't game on it, well, try first.

Anyway, on to the game. Forsaken World is a huge and well-crafted game. The visuals are pretty breathtaking, and I love the story and dialogue (although a lot of the characters have the same satirical wit). There are more quests than you can shake a stick at (whatever that means). And you can play as a vampire, which I think is awesome. There is a generous assortment of other classes, and a wealth of skills. All in all, you can't ask for much more from a game. I've really enjoyed playing it thus far.

So why am I having so much trouble liking this game? There are always issues, and quirks, and ultimately its hard to please everyone. But there are just a few things about FW that are driving me crazy. Main among them is the pacing of the game. I've been playing, pretty steadily, for about 10 days, and I'm at level 40, which is half-way towards the current cap. At first, I was leveling so fast I couldn't keep up with the main story. This may remedy itself, as I have some sort of beginners boost to quest experience, but wow, they really need to look into working on this.

The other thing is the gimmicky, entitlement-riddled, and very, very repetitive way they dole out experience. You get experience quite literally handed to you every day. You could quite easily hit the level cap without even playing the game at all. This sort of thing drives me crazy. But, the game is good. So I'm conflicted. I'm going to give it a little more time, but I get the feeling before long I'm going to entitle myself to 5GB of hard drive space.


No comments:

Post a Comment